Sunday, February 16, 2014

Destiny Quest

Come On In...Welcome to my blog entry about Destiny Quest!

Destiny Quest is an online catalog that houses every book owned in my school library.
As a teacher, I use this resource to find books that are available for check out in our school media center. Before I begin teaching a unit of study, I access Destiny Quest to find books that relate to my unit of study. For example, last week I was teaching about Black History month, so I was able to login to Destiny Quest to see what books were available. One cool feature is that it lets me know if the book is "IN" or "OUT". Do you know how much time that saves me? Since I'm a visual learner, I love the fact that Destiny displays the book covers. I use the "My List" feature to drop and drag book titles, which helps me create a resource of book titles for future use. Destiny also has ebooks! My students love when I project an ebook on the white board, because they know that I'm going to choose someone to read the book out loud to the class. The ebooks allow me to connect with my 21st Century students, who are reading books on their Nook or Kindle.

Parents and students can also access Destiny Quest from any computer with reliable internet connection. They can view every book that is available for check out in our school library. Most parents and students use this wonderful resource to select AR books. Destiny displays title details, call numbers, AR levels, awards, and more. Students can also create a "My List" bookshelf  in order to make a resource list.

The best thing about Destiny Quest is that it's easy to use. The kid-friendly interface and design makes finding just the right book easy and FUN!! To check out this amazing resource and login as a guest, click here.  Oh, before you begin, use my Destiny Quest instructional handout that I created for my Preparing Instructional Media class at USF. I hope you have fun browsing for books!
So, between now and next time...Ya'll come back you hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment